copyright laws

MC writes:
> >Actually, Pete has no say in the matter. Because GW Bush > used it at an election party/gala/celebration, it is allowed.
Mark writes: > Mc:> > So you know nothing about copyright laws either.
You are entirely wrong, Mark, and I do know enough about copyright law to know that artists don't need to be paid for use of music at parties, celebrations, etc.  It's lunacy to think that copyright means that any time a person's music is played he is entitled to money or must grant permission.  What about music played at bars, dance clubs, parties, sporting events?  WGFA was played at a Bush event, not as part of a TV commercial or anything else that requires consent from the artist.  Just because the event was covered by the media doesn't mean GWB should have to pay Pete money.  It's as ridiculous as saying that a politician should have to get permission from an author to quote him/her in a speech.  Copyright is not in play.  It would have been a nice gesture to ask for permission (though I'm sure GWB was not directly involved in the actual decision to play WGFA), but it isn't required by law.
Mc