Something Trivial

The other day I realized something rather trivial but I thought I'd share
it anyway.

During Daltrey's autobiographical singing segment at the end of "The Kids
Are Alright" (the song - as it was performed on the last tour), he says,
"I remember when I was 16 (?), what a sight for sore eyes I must've been."

Now, I believe he's trying to infer that at age 16 he was rough, tough, &
scruffy looking.  But actually he's saying the exact opposite with his
"sight for sore eyes" line.

If you see someone who is a "sight for sore eyes," you're *happy* to see
them.  You're glad.  Relieved.  Attracted.

Daltrey is unconsciously transferring the negative connotations of the ad-
jective "sore" from the viewer's eyes to his young rough appearance!  In
short, he's using the cliche' incorrectly.

Maybe Pete will tell him.

- SCHRADE in Akron