Re: Moon vs Watts????

In a message dated 3/15/03 8:02:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pkeets@hotmail.com writes:

> Moon
> >could take the drums to uncharted territory while keeping perfect time.

Obviously two entirely different styles between Keith and Charlie.  Charlie
is a clock back there. He is a drummer that "swings." Charlie *could* be part
black. Keith didn't keep the time that well and was as white as it gets.
Charlie set the beat. In The Who Pete more than John set the beat and Keith
kept it going with that thump thump thump on bass pedal while following along
with his lead in the toms. John did so many runs and held a fluid undertone.
No wonder Keith's overachieving frustrated him. What an unconventional band.

What I find truly amazing is how Keith had the time to keep the crashes
constantly going when he was always hitting the drums with the sticks so
fast.  He was so inventive and advanced. Just try and do it!

Keith just did it.  It came out of his being. Similar to Hendrix *being* an
extension of his guitar naturally.  Keith was at his best when the band
played nonstop.  He was brilliant.  John was as well.  No wonder Jimmy Page
wanted those two. He instead got the exact opposite, JPJ and Bonham, who are
a very conventional rock bottom rhythm section playing together with a bit of
funk in there too.  Not much of that to move your hips in The Who.  They made
music to get rid of frustrations to.

I am now a big fan of Zak because he has some qualities of both Charlie and
Keith.  However, after listening to the encores until my ears dulled, w/
Leeds in the 6 disc together, I am convinced that Keith is the *Master*.  He
is the one who thought all this up, or rather poured it out of himself onto
record naturally. I don't know what Zak could create.  When I saw him with
Johnny Marr, it wasn't anything that special. But that was an entirely
different band.

When Keith was in practice (touring nonstop) he was unbeatable for feel and
inventiveness. We are so used to ICSFM, but try and think those beats up. He
was so bold back there.  I give him credit for giving the band it's ultimate
power.  He started it. And how exciting he is to listen to.  Tommy was his
masterpiece in my opinion. Keith actually could be quite subtle at times as
well.  He often used the ride cymbal to keep the volume down but energy
going.  My all time favorite white guy drummer.

Jon in Mi.