Negative Connotations

Here are some negative connotations I'm not happy with in the handful of
press stories concerning Pete's alleged vindication.

*****
"The Who mastermind could be close to cutting a deal that could make his
child-porn case disappear."

"Sounds like rocker Pete Townshend may have cut a deal to avoid
prosecu-tion--and a possible five-year prison sentence--on child pornography
charges."
*****

"Cutting a deal?"  "Cut a deal?"  That makes it sound like Pete has a bunch
of evidence against him but the cops are going to overlook most of it for a
guilty plea.  A plea bargain.  Even though Pete has admitted all along that
he entered the site in question.

*****
"Townshend, 57, was busted on January 13 for allegedly making and possessing
indecent images of children with incitement to distribute such images."
*****

Where is the evidence for this alleged discretion?  "Making," "possessing,"
"distribute?"  Words like that stick in people's minds.  They stick in my
mind.

It will need to be reported that the only crime Pete committed was using his
credit card to access an illegal site.  Period.  No making.  No possessing.
No distributing.  Fuck, that makes it sound like Pete was *running* his own
child porn site!  Not good.

*****
"The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer was jailed briefly...."
*****

Jailed?  Was he jailed?  Or just brought in for questioning & released?

*****
"Shortly after his arrest, model-actress Jerry Hall said the rocker once
offered her advice on how to protect her kids from the dangers of Internet
porn and said he was an "avid supporter" of children's welfare charities."
*****

I don't like this part about Jerry Hall defending Pete as an "avid support-
er" of children's welfare charities.  I'm not criticizing Jerry Hall; her
intentions were good.  I don't like how the press makes it seem that Jerry
Hall is the *only* one who knows about Pete's charitable work.

Why can't the press list Pete's many charitable contributions.  It's not
some big secret or anything - that only Jerry Hall knows about!  Pete's
charitable contributions are a matter of public knowledge.  All it would
take
would be a little research to find that out; rather than relying on a quote
by *one* person.

I don't think our job of "informing" the press is over yet.  The next few
days may be crucial.  When this story is verified, we're gonna have to
spread
the word.  Big time.

- SCHRADE in Akron