Different takes on a "caution"

Let's just hope that it comes out worded properly in the news
reports. I do not like how that NY daily news article read. For the casual reader to see stuff like "Polaroid film," , etc., leaves a lot to the imagination. They should make it clear that the police *found nothing* in his computers, etc., and that is *why* there is a deal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/story/66248p-61611c.html

I agree that this article does not sound good. A plea bargain in the US implies that the defendant pleads guilty of a lesser charge to avoid going to trial and possibly receiving a catastrophic sentence for whatever he's originally charged with. Or maybe that he's agreed to give evidence against someone else for which he will receive a lighter sentence.

As far as I can tell from the general discussion, a caution is considered next to nothing in the UK, regardless that the description says the detainee has to admit guilt. Apparently this is just a formality, so everyone in the UK will know this means the police believe Pete's story and have found nothing on his computer. However, the problem is in the interpretation that US media makes of the whole thing. Perhaps a good description to use of a "caution" is the warning that US drivers get when they're stopped for speeding, but don't quite rate a ticket.

Whatever, here is the email address for the folks apparently responsible for the NY Daily News article. We don't really have any definite information on what will happen or what the police have or have not found, but perhaps it wouldn't be out of line to write and express some outrage that this article implies Pete is guilty of all the accusations or else he wouldn't be making a plea deal.

rushmolloy@edit.nydailynews.com

keets

"Never doubt that a small number of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.