Re: Worst case scenario

----- Original Message ----- From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>

> Here's the worst case scenario, from Relayers:
>
> >The only thing I thought when I read it was that all of the papers
> would have the headline, "Townshend Pleads Guilty" or some such....and as
we
> all know, unfortunately that's about as far as 90% of the population will
> read.

My knowledge of British justice is pretty much limited to watching "The
Bill" when I lived there in the '90's, so take this with a grain of salt.

Being cautioned and pleading guilty to an offense are two very different
things.  Cautions are apparently quite commonplace for people in situations
like Pete's.  They have done something wrong, but had some sort of
mitigating circumstance that made formal charges inappropriate.  It is the
outcome that I thought would be the correct one when I first heard of the
situation and, if it comes to pass, would be a very satisfactory conclusion
that would allow him to carry on however he wants (activism, low profile,
whatever, as long as he stays away from kiddie porn in future!)

As far as his reputation goes, I think it might matter exactly what he's
cautioned for.  Some of the charges mentioned were ridiculously trumped up
(distribution, etc.)  The best thing might be if it is left vague and he can
basically tell his own side of the story.  I don't think the police will
have much to say on the matter.

Jim M