Re: "Violence/It's the only thing that will make you see sense..."

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 06:19:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Zenswhen <bushchoked@yahoo.com>

I'm sick of people comparing Saddam to Hitler.
Sorry if the truth hurts, but if you look at how Hussein rose to total power compared to how Hitler did the same, they're quite similar...including surprise purges -- executions, with no trial -- of political rivals.

[Hussein's] not invading all the countries around him in an attempt to take over (in fact, he has ONLY attacked Kuwait, and that to regain territory taken from Iraq earlier,
You're forgetting his attack on Iran in 1988: "Of the many conflicts in progress around the world in early 1988, the Iran-Iraq War was by far the bloodiest and the costliest." -- http://www.workmall.com/wfb2001/iraq/iraq_history_the_iran_iraq_conflict.html

 and the US...that would be Daddy Bush...gave him the go-ahead).
Daddy Bush told Hussein to invade Kuwait, then spent billions of dollars and 240 coalition lives to repel him? Pardon my skepticism.

Hitler was a real danger to the world. Saddam is a small-minded petty man who is contained within a small portion of his country, effectively helpless.
I can't imagine that his victims (or their relatives) take much comfort in calling him small and petty. But discounting them, the effect of his funding of terrorists unfortunately extends far beyond Iraq's borders, to New York at least. And nothing short of his removal from power will stop that.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."