TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:
<< "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." >>

While I am no great fan of violence, that might be somewhat of an
overgeneralization....

Certainly The Who have engaged in their fair share of violent behavior, both
on stage and off.

"...For ten, maybe fifteen years, the Who smashed up hotel rooms - why?
Wherebs the pleasure in it? We actually quite relished general violence."
--Pete Townshend -  Rolling Stone, June 26, 1980

Of course, one could argue that Roger was "incompetent" in his social skills
when he would use violence to get his way in the early years of The Who.
Does The Who's onstage violence make them incompetent musicians?  (Well,
except John...)

(I realize the above quote was offered in a more political context, but I
figured I would see how it applied here...)

"I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
violence, I would advise violence."
--Gandhi

-mike