Re: Pete to infinity

(disclaimer: if I come off as a bit harsh, it's the medication. "It's not meself, it's someone else who's standing here." as Daltrey sang)

> Here's to you, OX.  Cheers.

Scott:

I second that. It's not The Who without you, John. It's just two guys pretending. Or maybe more than two, depending on how many are in the audience.

> And that's *our* fault??

Kevin:

No. Just commenting. When I know someone has thrown up I don't necessarily want to visit the scene.

>Yes, but this story, this chapter in Who-dom and Pete-dom has been
progressing over these months.

Yeah, what progress has been made exactly? I think we're all where we were when we started. What's your position again? Jon's? Scott's? Ken's? Jim M.'s? Keets'? Alan's? Jo's? Anyone's? Everyone's? and so on...

>Surely you can agree that this is one of the most important occurrences
in The Who's life, right up there with Keith and John's death,

I don't agree with that. But that's my opinion. To me it ranks right up there with NEWSFLASH: Dateline London 1965: Pete Townshend buys new guitar.

>I mean, how can you not when this situation could potentially cause the
end of The Who and Pete's career.

Man, The Who's career ended a year ago. Pete, well...he hasn't put out any studio albums since Psychoderelict unless you count demos. Psycho, clearly one of if not THE best (I think) solo material...and it didn't sell much at all. Do you think he HAS a career outside of The Who, other than for the few Who fans around?

> Doesn't that tell you that listers feel it's important to discuss?

Well, shit, it's not like we haven't discussed it! And discussed it, and discussed it, and discussed it yet some more etc. I'm not saying anyone shouldn't post about it, just commenting on how this subject seems to have been the overwhelming feature of this list since it started.

> Plus, it helps many sort through the confusing thoughts and feelings.

STILL? I mean, if that's true I have to echo Jo and suggest getting a life is in order. Damn, it's time to get over the shit and move on. Dwelling on things isn't healthy!

>Guilty of what?  He was guilty of breaking the law by visiting the
site, and paying.  I never once thought he was guilty of being a pedophile.

He wasn't FOUND guilty of anything. He was never charged, never went to court.

> I don't know, I just don't see this whole calamity as a non-issue, or
not a big deal.

I do. It's just another tricky day, as someone said early on.

> I believe it's one of the most devastating things to happen to Pete,
and thus The Who to some extent.

It becomes what you make it. Not to sound like a religious freak or anything, but if you give energy to it...it becomes more than it was.

> I agree with Kevin.

Scott:

That's because he's sharing his muscle relaxers with you.

> Something like the
'Who vs. Zeppelin' thread - now *that* has to have life breathed into it by
us listers.  But not the current "Pete thing."

Well, see, that's a perfect example of a usual thread. It was discussed, and done with, and is now over. Everyone said their thing and that was it. This Ped Pete topic...I know of several people who have stated the same exact position 5 times or more. I think I have stated my dismissal as an issue three times now, as of this post, and I've barely participated at all!

> It's funny.  This has been a non-issue with Mark from day one.  I
remember one of his first statements (I'm paraphrasing), "He wasn't gay when
people said he was, & he's not a pedophile."  (!)  Mark did all his
mental wrangling & made up his mind in 2 seconds!!

Well that's me, isn't it? Seriously, I think after all these years I'm pretty aware of Pete the person, and pedophilia isn't in the mix. SOMETHING would have come out by NOW, as under the spotlight as he has been since he was 20 or so. So given that he's not a ped, as I think we will ALL grant here, then his reasons stated for going on the site MUST be true. It's not like "Am I a ped, for a moment?" And that's pretty much that. No great leap of reasoning required.

Pluck a duck, now I've stated my position four times. See what happens?

Cheers             ML
      An American loses his or her job every 30 seconds
          under Bush, 2.8 million jobs lost so far.