Re: Why Water??

In a message dated 6/27/2003 11:53:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> 1. Pete's varied &extensive use of water imagery has always intrigued me.
> 2. There seems to be many examples in his writing.
> 3. All encompassing nature references is too broad of a criteria.
> 4. By exploring the water theme I feel we'll come to better understand
>   Pete's lyrical writing, how he uses imagery, what kind of tones he
>   sets with imagery; and maybe it'll open up our eyes a bit as to the
>   water imagery that we ourselves encounter in our lives on a daily basis.
>   And maybe we'll be able to use all that knowledge to become deeper
>   thinkers.

This whole water thing is a bit scary to me, as I have always been intrigued
with this prevalent theme in Pete's writings. For Scott to see the same thing
just gives me chills. It is a subject that I've often considered bringing up
but chose not to in the past.

Don't take what I am going to say as some religious dogma, please.

Knowing what I know about the bible, I see water as critical in Pete's
spiritual struggle.  He is really struggling for relief and meaning in his life.

In the bible, water is VERY significant and is used extensively in vivid
symbolism to convey to the reader what God is and what He is doing as well as the
forces that are against this purpose.  It is one of the only symbols in the
bible  that has a dual significance, one being positive, the other being
negative.

The water as a "sea" is negative. When water is in the form of a "river" it
is positive. One is still and one is flowing.  One is the lodging place of
demons and one is God Himself.  One takes anything that comes into it and keeps it
there.  The other is the flowing, gushing source of Life.  In the sea was the
storms signifying the storms in our life.  One is the river that wells up in
our being and gushes out as rivers of living water when we drink of It.  One
is stagnant situation with a mucky sediment that is very deep and dark.  One
has a fountain as the source, spring as the issue and a flow.  One is the at the
lowest point.  One gives. One takes.

According to the book of Revelation, that last book of the bible, the eternal
situation is this: There is a River of water of life flowing out of the
throne of God as bright as crystal reaching and watering everyone.  This has a HUGE
significance.  The former earth will have been replaced with a new earth and
on this new earth, "The Sea Is No More."

It is so clear to me that Pete has a sense of this.  He is touching this
because he is an open person to the spiritual things. What worries me is that he
is focused more on the sea than the River. He doesn't seem to know the
difference, but he is not letting it go.

"We need Water!  Good Good Water!"    Wow.  WOW!!

Jon in Mi.