Re: C'mon, Give Me Good Water

> "Spilled out like a sewer hole, and still received your kiss."
>
> Who Are You

I think this line *has* to be included, yes.  Although, I've always heard
the line as "I spill out like a sewer hole...."  Thewho.net has "I *spit*
out like a sewer hole..."  I really don't hear it as "spit out" at all.
"Spill out" makes much better sense.

And another thing - that line is from one of my all-time favorite Townshend
stanzas.  I remember as a kid, after a big summer rain, running out in the
street & watching the sewer holes "spill out" all that rainwater they
weren't able to hold.

That line - which doesn't even *mention* the words water, sea, river, rain,
etc. - evokes a stronger water image than all the other ones combined!
At least for me it does.  I can't help but think about those spewing sewer
holes from my childhood.  Outstanding Townshend imagery.

> "It's thin where you're skating." (maybe a stretch)
>
> Another Tricky Day

Hmmmm.....I don't think so.  I don't get a water vibe from that line.  I
get a danger vibe.  And the skating image.  BUT....if you imagine the per-
son falling *through* the ice......hmmmmm.  My gut reaction says no.  But
that's another line that's debatable.

- SCHRADE in Akron