Re: Karma and sin

Here's a great guy that didn't pay for it. I guess that means
>he's not as guilty as Pete, right?

No, not according to the law. The law doesn't distinguish between paying for it & just possessing it. Doesn't matter how you get it.

But, Pete did not have it. The law does distinguish between paying and not having it, and having it and not paying. That's why this guy is in jail and Pete is not.

Pete was given a caution based on his admission that he accessed a site, and the fact that a prosecution couldn't go forward without concrete evidence of the crime. Therefore, according to the law, this man is guilty of a crime and Pete is not.

Listen carefully (for the 400th time):  THIS WAS ALL CAUSED BY PETE HIM-
SELF!!  You're telling me I don't have the right to judge or be angry at
one of my heroes for paying to access an illegal child porn site?

I can't figure out why you guys are so hung up on the fact that Pete paid. He did not commit the crime of possession, and paying, of itself, is not a crime. Is the fuss about a moral offense, then? Do you think Pete's offense of paying to look is morally worse than this guy's collection and statement that he likes to see children raped?

(BTW, I haven't seen any report that Pete entered this gateway site more than once.)

I don't give a goddamned flying fuck what fucking research he was doing or what
his goddamned good intentions were. WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG, IMMORAL, RECK-
LESS, & LEAST OF ALL STUPID!! AND HE HASN'T EVEN APOLOGIZED TO HIS COUNT-
LESS FANS & WELL-WISHERS WHO HAVE LOVINGLY & WILLINGLY GIVEN SO MUCH TO
HIM, & HAVE ALSO RECEIVED SO MUCH *FROM* HIM!!

So the immorality is in failing to be a bright and shining example for Whofans to hold up to the world, right? Alcoholism and drug addiction are accepted as part of the rock and roll lifestyle, but looking at child porn isn't? Interestingly, I think this might be a moment when we might understand how Pete looks to our parents, who think alcoholism and drug addiction are immoral.

You can sit there & act like he's Jesus Christ being crucified because of
his good deeds but I'm still pissed.  I love the man.  I love his music.
I always will.  But I'm pissed at him for causing this whole mess & then
acting like he wasn't responsible for, or didn't deserve, what followed.

He was responsible for it, but the consequences hugely outweigh the offense. Pete is complaining because the cosmic balance is now off. Assuming he accessed the sites with good or even neutral intentions, he's done everything as morally as possible. He's been completely open and truthful, and has been completely vilified for it. This is not how moral acts are supposed to be received.

Unfortunately, I think Pete's is a standard experience. If he had lied, he would be much better off. However, if he HAD lied, he would hate himself and the lie would fester and rot his soul. Given the original mistake, I think he's done well for himself. His soul is what counts, guys. I'm sure Pete would like to have our support, but we really DON'T count in the final analysis.

Maybe he should call this next album SIEGE.

keets