Karma and sin

Since we seem to be getting around to philosophical/religious viewpoints again, I have another question on Pete's predicament and it's cause. Did Pete sin by not being aggressive enough in fighting child porn? I'm sure his lawyer advised him to keep quiet, but was Pete remiss in seeing this evil and not making a huge fuss about it?

If Pete had taken the standard advocacy route on this, like Bono, for example, gone around to government officals and pushed an anti-child porn agenda, then he would be identified with the cause and this fiasco would not have played out in the same way. By seeing the evil and doing too little against it, did he sin and so invite trouble into his own life?

BTW, I think this could be where Pete owes an apology, that is, some kind of atonement--not for investigating or for paying, but for not doing enough when the opportunity was there.

Regarding the way we keep coming back to religious philosophy, here's a interesting comment from ExiletoWhoville:

There have been experiments involving a cross section of people who held different faiths. The experiments showed that no matter what faith they held... the same part of the brain showed activity during a brain scan. However, they conducted the same experiments with 'obsessive' fans of Elvis, and Mr Jackson and football supporters etc. Their research concluded that there is no difference between the brain activity of someone who holds faith and that of an obsessive fan. The scientists that did the experiments have said that the people that were fans had a pre-disposposition towards being a fan and had they not been fans they may well have had a tendency towards religion. However, they would not comment as to the speculation that the reverse was true.

keets