The Mid-80's - Who Doldrums

> What stunned me is how they looked old in the eighties and that was 20
> years ago and now we get this.

I know, isn't it funny?  Back in '82 they were what?....in their late
30's.  That was supposed to be old for rock & rollers!  See how we're
manipulated by media & public opinion?

> I remember  writing Pete a "post Who" letter back in 1985 [to which he
> kindly responded.]  Post Who.  Ha. That's what it was back then.  Not.

Yeah, the mid-80's were the doldrums as far as being a Who fan went.  I
got into them in '81-'82 but missed the chance to see them on the '82 tour.

In the mid-80's all we got were little scraps of Who.  Daltrey did a few
shows.  Pete made WHITE CITY.  The Live Aid reunion.

That Live Aid reunion was like the biggest event in '85 (at least it was
for me).  I remember nervously awaiting their set.  I remember the excite-
ment when they took the stage.  The thought of "uh-oh" when OX's bass
guitar wasn't functioning & had to be replaced before they even played a
note!.  Then the disbelief when the damn satellite feed was lost.  What
a stressful day that was.

In the mid-80's, nobody could foresee the upcoming '89 reunion tour.  So
when a friend ran up to me in the summer of 1988 & said, "Did you see John
Entwistle is coming to Cleveland?" - I was ecstatic.

Finally, I'd get to see a member of The Who.  Probably my only chance, I
thought.  Saved by The OX!

Then the damn burst & The Who were everywhere again.  I would realize my
dream of seeing the band.  Quite a few times.

- SCHRADE in Akron

I do not value any view of the universe into which man & the institutions
of man enter very largely & absorb much of the attention.
    - Henry David Thoreau, 1852