Re: Joe's Quad question

Brian Wrigth wrote:
>Any teenager no matter what thier upbringing can relate to that.

These where my first thoughts.   There are many layers here that
people relate to.   Scott makes an interesting point (below) about
it can happen in other stages of life, not just the teen years.

Kevin wrote:
>I'd want to hear the answer from someone which the above describes.
>Is that you?

Maybe it's me.  While I am assured of my parents love, and I know that
I wasn't into drugs, I didn't feel popular.   I had my heart broken
on more than one occasion.   Things weren't always clear....   "Is it me?"

>Can you still relate to Quad?

Shit yeah.   Makes goose bumps some times.

>If so, I'm very interested in knowing how and on what level.

I guess the whole rejection thing with Steph reminds me of an early
relationship in which I got slammed in.  In retrospect, the girl who
did the *slamming* was probably just confused and into her little trip.
Anyway, this is one chord it strikes.

Another is the return to Brighton.  I relate to this very strongly:
the *trying to relive a great moment from the past* bit.   Now at 40
years old, I really know that *you can never go back*, as the saying goes.

There are small connections I have to how Jimmy feels outside the crowd,
but I enjoy

>I'd bet you'll enlighten most of us with another take.

I hope this did.   I really wish I had known about Quad when I was
an early teen.  I only discovered it at age 19 after seeing the movie.

Scott wrote:

>QUAD's more about self-realization, self-questioning, than it is
about teen angst, drugs, abuse, or generation gaps.  It's about
dealing with becoming aware, & having for the first time to summon
strength from within one's self.  And that doesn't only happen
once in life, when we're teenagers.  It can happen in other stages
of life, as well.  It's deeper than just a coming-of-age melodrama.

No question about it's depth.  The elements that attract people
are varied, and that's why there can be different lessons to take
from it.   Your comment about other stages in life is so poignant.
I refer to Quadrophenia to this day, and not for personal enrichment.
It should be mounted behind a glass case in every school corridor
in the world with the label: "in case of uncertainty, break glass and
have a listen!"

Joe in Philly

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.