Joe's Quad Question

Joe:

>My question to the group is:  Can one be clean and sober,
>and popular and have grown up with the benefits of the
>American dream, with a mum and dad that you love, and loved
>you and still relate to Quad?

Joe, this is an excellent question, and I wish I had time to fully
answer it, but HP's version of Simon LeGree is calling so...  But a
quick answer to your question:

Yes.  I think ANYONE can relate to Quad if they are open enough to it.
The drugs and anti-social behavior depicted in Quad are only relevant to
the storyline, but the real message (for me, anyway) is completely
summed up in "I'm One".

Quad is about loneliness and isolation, not drugs and parental problems.
It's about desperation; trying to desperately fit in with the family,
Mods, birds, etc...  I don't think one needs to be a Who fan to
experience those feelings, so I think anyone willing to try can relate
to it.

As Jimmy reflects on his existence in "I'm One", all of those elements
manifest.  But, as the chorus of the song proudly proclaims (and the
final theme of Quad for me), no matter what happens to me, I'm One.

Jim in Colorado

(No work sig!)