Re: Re. current thoughts

Things will out.  It will be highly interesting to see
what IWF and Mark Stephens in particular say, if
anything. They may hide behind their confidentiality
language.  I've been poking around and there is some
interesting elements - such as they're funded by the
telecoms and ISPs in the UK.  In fact they are
soliciting comments on a revision to their
constitution and "remit" which I gather is Brit-speak
for charter or mission.
I suppose Ken has found this already, but there is info on the site about the IWF organization. Like Kevin, I was mostly curious, as I'm getting the vibe that these organizations are so constrained by their creed (and the laws) that they can't accomplish a whole lot. That would mean they're sort of over-sensitive and prone to prosetylizing. There were a couple of other similar organizations that checked in early on with about the same attitude as IWF, i.e. "You look, you're going to jail!"

http://www.iwf.org.uk/about/annual_report/ar2002.htm

IWF claims to doing good works, but they certainly haven't come across as very user friendly. Notice that they warn that reporting sites to them does not protect you from arrest and prosecution. As in Pete's case, they will swear they don't know you.

I'm gaining more and more respect for the guy who turned in the Texas site (Candyland? Candyman?). He had to have gone inside to know what was there, and I'll bet he came close to going to jail for it.

keets