[no subject]

New proof 'clears Townshend'
By Graham Keeley Crime Reporter, Evening Standard
Pete Townshend today claimed he could prove his claim
that he viewed child pornography on the internet for
research purposes.

When Townshend, 57, a father-of-three, was arrested by
police investigating internet porn he insisted he was
not a paedophile but had accessed the site as part of
his campaign against child abuse.

To back his claim he said he had lodged three
complaints about the website he had viewed in emails
to the Internet-Watch Foundation (IWF), a charity
which tries to close down depraved sites. At the time
the IWF claimed it had no knowledge of the emails.

Today Townshend said the IWF now admitted he had
contacted them. His website said: "At the time the
story first broke the IWF denied that they had in fact
heard from Pete. They have now admitted that they did
in fact have communication with Pete on a number of
occasions."

Townshend himself added on his website: "I, of course,
know that I did communicate with them several times
last year and they have now supplied to us copies of
my emails to them.

"My lawyers have written to the founder of the IWF,
Mark Stephens, who was adamant that they had never
heard from me, asking for an explanation."

IWF refused to comment and Mr Stephens was unavailable
for comment.

=====
-Brian in Atlanta
The Who This Month!