Thoughts on Porn and Pete (hate saying those two words together)

>From: "Schrade, Scott" <sschrade@ascpl.lib.oh.us>
>Subject: Corporate America Quietly Profiting From Porn
>
>Maybe Pete *did* get the ball rolling....

A ball is definitely in motion.

>From: Ken in MD <seahawkman2001@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Lifehouse, credit cards, and the porn beast
>
>That's alot of reading!  Hope you had a nice glass of
>brandy and a little Who music on for background...
>maybe Lifehouse Chronicles? ;-)

Unfortunately no.  Just the TV in the background and me taking advantage of the 1 free hour I get in the evenings these days.

>You're welcome!  I'm trained professionally as a
>historian, so sleuthing these sources has been a good
>way to keep those skills sharp.  As I've found sources
>I've thought it would be helpful to others to read or
>re-read them too.

Agreed.  Looking forward to what your skills dig up next.

>The arrest of Gary Glitter
>in 1997 surely gave his quest a new urgency, as he
>dates his efforts to speak out about the dark side of
>the Internet to that year.

I've had this same thought.  It brought it close to home, and more than likely gave him added motivation and as you say "urgency".

>Speaking from
>his perspective as a sober, recovering alcholic, he
>knows only too well the risks of giving in to
>self-medication.

Listen to those that have crossed the line.
They're perspective is broader than those that haven't, and as a result have "clarity".  And, I don't believe it's just a "moment of clarity" (that time when addicts can see the whole picture).  If it is a "moment", it last a long, long time.

>The next
>round must be "better," more shocking, more extreme,
>push the envelope just farther enough to spark a
>thrill.

Got to increase that high.
There are sites out there that collect shocking images.  They're always trying to push the envelope.  I haven't viewed these places in quite some time.  Not since a friend first told me about them.  But at the time, some of the photo's were really mind numbing.
bangedup.com
consumptionjunction.com
You want to get grossed out or shocked?  Check em out.

>"I've always been into pornography and I have used it
>all my life."

I had my parents read ADB.
While it gave them a much clearer understanding of where Pete was coming from, the one thing my dad (an 82 year old man who can still x-country ski with the best of 'em) took issue with was the statement that most males have viewed and downloaded porn.  He was like "not me or my friends".
I had to gently raise the generation gap on that one!
Don't listen to the words I say, weighing up if I'm
enlightened,

>Don't shiver as you pass me by, 'cause mister I'm the
>one who's frightened,
>The police just came and left, they wanted me and no
>one else,

The lines that keeps resonating in my head these days is (and I'm going to botch this a bit as I'm going from memory):
"I want to be misunderstood. I want to be feared in my neighborhood."

>From: Emil Nitrate <bushchoked@yahoo.com>
>Subject: WHO is trashing Pete???
>
>Are you sure Mike's isn't just another EMail address for Mc?

;-)  Different styles.  Mike's his own man.  A Rush listener, but his own man.
I don't know that even Mc would admit to listening to Rush!  :-D
THAT WAS A JOKE, MIKE!

>Kevin, on the other hand, knows me about as well as anyone could (there are others equally
>knowledgable here) who doesn't live in this area.

And funny enough, I don't even know myself!
I didn't know I was a DICK!
I've been seeking second opinions on that.

>From: Rich <legalize@xmission.com>
>Subject: autodeleting Mark Leaman...
>
>It sure is hard when he keeps changing his email address.  Plonk.
>Another one for the kill file.

Ummm, Rich....look again.  Same address.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Pete?
>
>Someone from the list(s) should have gone down to the police station and
>hung around outside sort of casually to see who came and went.  The press
>seems to have fallen down on the job today.

I've never been convinced about the date of 1/28.
It only appeared in that one article.

Anyone in the UK know what the current "camp out" at Pete's is like?
Are the press still there?

>From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com
>Subject: Saw Zak last night
>
>Hello all,

Hello Brother Jon!

>After a few beers I got into my stupid high energy mode and got my "fellow
>fans" to stop just staring at the band and have a little fun.

I know that guy!  Saw him at Boston I 2002!

>When will I ever learn. ;)

Don't change.  While your high-energy pogo at Boston I did freak my friend's girlfriend out a bit (what does she know though?), I found it endearing.  Granted, I usually reserve such energy explosions for when I'm in the first 10 rows or so.  :-)
How's the head feeling?  ;-)

>From: Keithjmoon70@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Pete?
>
>> The press
>> seems to have fallen down on the job today.

I doubt that.

>No news is good news

I totally disagree with this.
"Totally" Kevin?
Yeah, I guess "totally" fits.

We need *positive* news.
"No news" is solidifying Pete's "reputation" at the moment.

>From: Anna Mormack <carrieanne79@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: What is child porn? and having some fun.
>>Many models
>>strutting their stuff on the runways and in print are
>>not yet 18.  We guys aren't looking at their outfits.
>>Really.
>>Is *that* child porn?
>>To a certain degree, it is.>>
>
>I'm an adult woman yet I pass for a childish-looking
>teenager due to immature facial features.  Though what
>13 year old has double D breasts?  I was well-stacked
>at 12, but not as large as I eventually became!

Hey Now!
Hubba-Hubba!
Anna, stop!  My fantasies are running amuck!
Oh wait, you said you are 24.
Cool!  I'm ok then!

>From: nostems@compuserve.com
>Subject: Faith in something bigger
>
>Pete is my guy....and like mentioned in the copied text above....I am
>afraid of him becoming damaged goods...because will it reflect on me when I
>still have him hanging on my wall, singing from my home and car, or printed
>on my jacket and shirt?   Honestly...I am not sure.   I hope not.  Because,
>as with many of you...this Who thing is your middle name.

I think this is exactly what we are all dealing with.
Me?  I'm still listening and sharing the music.  I'm still wearing my Who T-shirts.
I've ordered the "Pete is innocent" T-shirt.
And I sure as hell won't remove my "WHO" Euro sticker from my Jeep, or change my license plate from "SLIPKID".
It's WHO I am.
Plus, we know better.

Now, if the Police came out with proof of an habitual pedophile habit, I'd have to re-evaluate the whole thing.
But, does *anyone*, *anywhere*, *really* believe that is going to happen?
I sure as hell don't.

>From: "An English Boy" <peter_dennis_blandford_townshend@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Faith in something bigger
>
>FUCK WHAT ANYONE THINKS OF ME FOR LOVING PETE/THEWHO-> !!!!!

*THAT'S* what keeps me going.
Well put you Grumpy Fucking English Bastard Swine!

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Lifehouse and Pete smashes his credit card...
>
>Right!  Notice the police captain who said their pursuit of the credit card
>users was taking away from their work for real children?  That quote is a
>subtle reminder to the public that there are more productive uses for police
>time.  Given the manhours required, they're not pleased with the result, and
>they'd like to give it up.

I'd missed that.
Good.  Someone over there has a head on their shoulders.
Now, if we could just get him here in the US to help with our "war on drugs", which really should read "war on silly pot users who don't hurt anyone...not even themselves".

>I didn't say it was something he did on purpose.  I said his subconscious
>had set it up for him.  He didn't purposely set out to commit suicide back
>in the early Eighties, either, but you can see he was playing on the fringe
>of it, just waiting for the overdose.

I'm (still) in line with this thinking.
Either way though, it was a "momentary lapse of reason".

>>I keep coming back to the simple Floyd line that Pete had a "momentary
>>lapse of reason".  He may have been arrogant.  At best, he just didn't care
>>what the results would bring.
>
>Now you're getting to it.  That sounds like the heroin use, doesn't it?
>Just throw it out there, and see what the Universe gives back.

Whooops.  I should have read ahead.

>Nah.  Everybody hates politics mixed with their music.  They'd have been
>yelling "get on with it!" in earnest.

You may be right.
But, this topic is something so atrocious that it could have grasped everyone's attention for a few minutes.  Hell, it's Pete talking.  We would have listened.
But, we would have had to hire someone to put their hand over Magic's mouth!  ;-)

>He would have been boring.

Ouch!  Pete, boring!  I thought he was just old?  ;-)

>However, I agree that Pete is now the
>poster boy for something or other.  I hope it has to do with child porn
>reform.

That's my hope too.
We need more news.
We need the record to be put straight.