Re: Operation Ore, 1000 names leaked to press, &c.

>>> pkeets@hotmail.com 01/27/03 11:26PM >>>
>>Notice that the police only seem to have caught one
real pedophile in this investigation.  All the others
only seemed to be looking at pictures.<<<

I wouldn't assume anything about the number of "true"
peds they've apprehended through operation Ore based
on press reports.
I was going by the quote from the police captain, who said they're only rescued two children, so far, from their abusive stepfather.

It appears that the authorities in
the UK are overwhelmed with this investigation and the
courts, prisons, and treatment centers are no better
prepared to handle additional cases.  Of the thousands
netted, some will surely turn out to have been up to
more than "just looking."
That's possible, but I think a large number will also turn out to have been "just looking" for one reason or the other. Even if some of them were using the porn to fuel private fantasies, people don't always act on those. Sometimes kinks never become visible, unless some public figure has a car accident, for example, and turns out to be wearing ladies underwear under his suit.

And those "only looking at
pictures" are culpible too, perhaps by degrees, but
just the same they validated the efforts of the
abusers and paid them for it too.
That is the problem with just looking, but I don't think rounding up the lookers is going to stop the problem. There are health concerns associated with the sex trade, too. Southeast Asia is a hotbed of AIDS.

Are you sure you want to know, after reading that
Michael Malone piece?  Unlike Pete's approach to
research, one would be advised to focus on secondary
sources, such as local press coverage of the Reedy
trial and coverage of the DOJ, USPS, and Customs
Service work.  Considering Avalanche was their biggest
bust and prosecution, there must be information about
it there.
I'm wondering what all these folks were looking at, and whether all the sites were hard core. Also, what happened to them after the gateway shut down. Were any of them really stopped, or did they just set up somewhere else?

To be honest, however, one's quest to understand this
would probably better benefit from investigating sex
addiction and Internet addiction, understood as means
to live a "Grid-Life" when real life pain is too much
to bear.
I agree that there's some element of addiction going on, but I think many people surf on the Internet out of boredom. It's more interesting than TV.

keets