Lifehouse food for thought

Since this travesty broke many of us have scrambled to
find out what Pete has said about the Internet and
when he said it.  His statements help establish a
timeline for when his critiques of the darker side of
the Internet began, and when he first specifically
singled out the dangers of child pornography.

[When arguing for his longtime stance AGAINST child
pornography, please reference 1999 and not just A
Different Bomb which was first posted Jan. 18, 2002.
Pete makes his first public statements in the 1999
Lifehouse interviews below, but his research goes back
further. Indeed, in ADB, Pete states that "Since 1997
I have been attempting to prepare some kind of
document with respect to all this for wider
publication." So its been on his mind for SIX years at
least.]

It is enlightening to read his remarks in light of his
ongoing battle with dependency and addiction.  And in
light of his critique of the commercialization of
experience and the decline of authentic human
interaction that date to Lifehouse.  The problem,
simply stated, of using the television and Internet to
"numb out" instead of "showing up" to life with
others.

So far, the interviews that coincided with the
Lifehouse broadcast on BBC Radio in December 1999 (and
the release of Lifehouse Chronicles shortly
thereafter) provide his earliest critiques specific to
the Internet I can locate.  Interviews from the 1993
Psychoderelict release are illuminating as well.

Following in separate emails are some of the sources,
a series of interviews he conducted with different BBC
programs in late 1999.  These were transcribed and
posted to IGTC in Dec. 1999 by FionaP.  Thanks to her.
 They remain in the archives.  I have excerpted
portions I found relevant to current events, but they
contain alot of good anecdotes about the early Who,
Keith's antics, etc.  I have included the URLs for the
whole transcripts.

There are six parts, so I will break them up.  FionaP
first gave an introduction to interview transcripts
at:

http://www.igtc.com/archives/thewho/1999/Dec/msg00206.html

regards,
Ken in MD