Re: kick in the stomach / When I Was A Boy

> A non-Pete question for everyone... Who in here really likes the
> song "When I Was A Boy" from WHO'S MISSING? I've been listening to
> it a lot lately & i'm beginning to think it's one of my favorite
> Who songs by The Ox. I just love the brass in the background.

"When I Was A Boy" ranks very high on my list of favorite Who songs.
Brilliant tune.

Listen for those Keith Moon manic swirl rolls.  He gets two of 'em.
Un-fucking-believable.  They're like these watery, fluid mixtures of
tom-toms & snare drum.  Off-time accents & blurring 32nd-notes.  "Pri-
mordial soup" rolls.  Head-scratching delights.

And what great lyrics!  They might sound pessimistic or defeatist to
some, but hey, we all feel that way sometimes.  The song has that WHO
BY NUMBERS mood to it.  It would've fit well on that album.

And yes, that touching, melancholy brass part which blends so well
with the song's depressed tone.  What a wonderful vocal performance by
The OX, as well.

An absolute gem of a Who song.  And one of OX's best.

- SCHRADE in Akron