Repost from O&S

First off, I'm not sure that any demands for a change in the law
would go down too well at this stage. No-one's above the law, and I
believe it's right that Pete is being investigated. I also believe
he's innocent, and that he will eventually beat this nonsense under
the existing legal framework.

What sticks in my craw (and I'm expecting most here will agree) is
the way that a hard-won, 38 year international reputation of a man so
far charged with NOTHING has been destroyed in just a few days. This
should not have happened, and WOULD not have happened if the
Metropolitan Police hadn't leaked details to the Daily Mail, thereby
starting the media witch hunt and all that's followed.

Maybe we might just make some difference if we concentrate on that
for now, by demanding to know what the Met. are doing to discover and
discipline their leak, and how quickly they are going to complete
their forensic examination of Pete's hard disks so that he can be
exonerated and his reputation rehabilitated. Why couldn't this
investigation have been carried out without the hysterical publicity?
We could also point out our total belief in Pete's innocence because
his anti-internet paedophilia stance has been well known to his fans
for ages, that he's never run away from anything in his life,
(particularly the British tax regime of the late 70s) and that his
record of work for childrens' charities is exemplary.

I suspect letters will be more effective than emails (which are just
too easy for some lowly assistant to delete) and that letters from
outside the UK will be very useful in showing the damage done to Pete
INTERNATIONALLY. They may also remind the Government what a useful
dollar-earner he's been over the years.

I'd guess these are the best people to write to (other suggestions
welcome). Please remember, if you're polite and civil, you're more
likely to be taken seriously. (Rich, please note Tony Blair does NOT
have a comb-over and it might be far better NOT to mention his small
bald patch) If you're in the UK, don't forget to write to your own MP
(who may themselves be in a similar mess in a few days, and be more
than able to identify!). And don't forget to write to Pete!

Sir John Stevens
Metropolitan Police Commissioner
New Scotland Yard
Broadway
London SW1H OBG
United Kingdom

Dear Sir John,

Re: Operation Ore - Pete Townshend

Rt Hon David Blunkett MP --- (minister responsible for Police)
Home Secretary
Home Office
50 Queen Anne's Gate
LONDON SW1H 9AT
United Kingdom

Dear Home Secretary,

Re: Metropolitan Police and Pete Townshend

Rt Hon Tony Blair MP --- (I suspect he's a Who fan)
Prime Minister
10 Downing Street
London SW1A 2AA
United Kingdom

Dear Prime Minister,

Re: Metropolitan Police and Pete Townshend

(your MP's name) MP
House of Commons
London SW1A 1AA

Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms whatever

Re: Metropolitan Police and Pete Townshend

Writing to newspapers to support sympathetic coverage and to lambast
hostile coverage is obviously also good. (Email will probably work
better here than snail mail).

Lastly, if anyone wants to repost this to another forum, feel free,
but PLEASE leave my contact details out of it, especially if it's
going to a usenet newsgroup. I can't be dealing with all dem crazies.
Thanks!