Re: Pete in trouble: a tempest in a teacup

But while we're at it: how much different is a picture of a nude child (my ignorance about child porn probably showing here) and a young girl dressed up in an adult-type evening gown with adult makeup in a beauty contest, especially when it's well known pedophiles are a large part of the audience?
Add to that the fact that kids may now start puberty at around age eight--they really are sexual creatures at that age. We're trying to protect them for ten more years, but some cultures don't. I think Muslim countries marry them off by age twelve.

For that matter, at what age does it become OK to have sex with a willing individual? 18? If so, there's a LOT of criminals out there. Does it hinge on (as you say) the willingness of the participants? Or perhaps the influence the adult exerts over the child (which would mean John Malvo shouldn't get the death penalty, although personally I think he should)? I guess this is why we (used to) have a legal system...to decide these things.
It depends on the law, of course. Interestingly the age of consent and the age for prosecution have both gone up since frontier days. How many men had Billy the Kid shot by the time he was 21?

keets

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail