further support from Brian May

http://www.brianmaynews.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

**Thu 16 Jan 03**
PETE TOWNSHEND
Thanks for all your comments on my piece on Pete Townshend, both positive and
negative. Yes, as some of you have pointed out, I wrote it in haste, outraged
that a man I knew to be of the highest morals should be made to look guilty
rather than "innocent UNLESS proven guilty". In retrospect I realise it did
read as if my grouse about "Thought Police" was directed at the real police of
Britain. This was NOT my intention, and I apologise sincerely that it came
across that way. However my conviction that the Police were forced to act
prematurely, and that Pete has been disgracefully treated by the press,
remains the same.
So I have taken the liberty of re-writing my own piece, as follows.
For goodness sake, leave Pete Townshend alone
It has deeply saddened me to see a man of such honesty and integrity so
apallingly misunderstood and smeared. I believe Pete Townshend will be proved
innocent of all bad intentions, but, whether he is or not, he has been
carelessly thrust into a hostile glare by elements of the tabloid press in a
way which risks permanently damaging both his reputation and his huge
contributions to helping the victims of abuse. I say again, Pete Townshend's
integrity is self-evident. He is as appalled by paedophilia as the rest of us.
I would like to see some respect for a man who has done so much to improve and
inform our view of the world.
B May January 2003