Re: The Townshend Act, part one

Kevin, Lela, and all the wonderful people
on this list and the others who have been
so supportive of Pete Townshend.

I make no apology for the length of this
post. I believe that I can count on you to
read it and consider it properly.

In fact, this is part one, a kind of summary
of what's gone on, purely from my
perspective, and in part two, I will offer
some ideas on what's next, what we as
supporters of Pete can do, or can't do,
especially in the UK.

I needed however to write this because I
think along the way some listers have lost
track of reality compared to emotion
which in part is due to a general lack of
knowledge of the peculiarities of the
British legal system.

We all know in our hearts that Pete would
not and could not contemplate abusing
children.

We all know Pete as a complex, driven,
frail,  creative, defensive, aggressive
personality who is as likely to offend,
upset, and cause difficulties for himself as
he is to be warmhearted, generous of
spirit, and as creative a musician as you'll
ever find.

But Kevin, when you said

> > We've got about two weeks to put
> > together a plan for 1) kiddie porn
> >  charges or 2) a quiet hush-hush
> > release.
>
>    Ken in MD posted that 1/28 is the date Pete again goes to the police.
>    If this is accurate than 2 weeks sounds about right (time for Police to
>   figure out how to get out of this mess).

This is not going to please you but let me
reassure you that the Police won't think
they are in a mess at all.

Okay, I don't know that for certain, but I
do believe I'm more likely to be right than
you.

Irrespective of whether you, we  - or the
writers in some UK newspapers - think
about  the laws surrounding paedophilia,
child abuse (and please don't forget this
isn't necessarily sexual - cruelty and
exploitation are equally abusive) the fact
is that what Pete is alleged to have done
is an offence under the law that's extant
in the UK.

What the Police have to do is prove
beyond a shadow of doubt who accessed
that web site using Pete's card details.

At the moment, they have arrested Pete
on suspicion of being that person.

But, and here's the uncomfortable but,
Pete has stated that he accessed that
web site using his card details.

He offers an explanation for this.

He has substantial evidence in his favour
in the articles he posted to the website.

He has contacted someone at the very
least with close links to serving Police
officers if not a current Police officer to
seek advice at the time he did so.

He has his lawyer to confirm that at that
time Pete told him about this access.

He will have a range of character
witnesses to testify as to his undoubted
character.

By the time Pete answers bail the Police's
job will have been to access and examine
the computers under Pete's control.

They will have sifted documents found in
the search, most notably I expect Pete's
financial statements.

They may have sought production orders
to make credit card companies give up
their transaction records for any cards
Pete holds.

They will almost certainly have
statements and physical evidence from
the Texas police, USPS and FBI about
his credit card being used at the US
website.

They also have Pete's admission.

On another list I suggested that Pete
would be charged. I dearly hope he is not,
but I believe his actions "speak louder
than words" and the Police, far from
considering it a mess, consider him one
more case reported.

This is not to say the Police treat this like
a game. They don't. They take
Peadophile crime seriously.

I think, unless a complete miracle occurs
and these don't often come along, come
28th January Pete will be charged with
certain offences.

In part two I'll put my thoughts together on
what we as fans can do - or can't do - in
the meantime.

Cheers,

John