Re: Uh-Oh...Let's Calm Down

In article <3049.64.30.61.168.1042763844.squirrel@webmail2.surfglobal.net>,
    <kevinandt@surfglobal.net>  writes:

> >From: Rich <legalize@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: Uh-Oh...Let's Calm Down
> >
> >"outsiders" have already made up there mind: it was on the news, it
> >must be true, blah blah blah.
>
> Ohhh, you Maine-ards (Maine-ites?  Maine-arians?) are all such defeatists.
> ;-)

I have nothing to do with Maine, I have no idea why you're saying
that.

> I think the "outsiders" *had* made up their minds until we "insiders"
> pulled the jury back out.

Wishful thinking at best.  Most people see the splashy arrest headline
and never notice any followup.

Of course I can understand why you might be thinking this -- its a
natural human tendency to project our own internal mental thought
processes onto the rest of the human race.  Its (so far) impossible to
understand directly how someone else thinks, so we as humans have
adopted this technique of projection to deal with this big unknown as
it aids survival to have at least some idea of what other people are
thinking.  Unfortunately its only a guess.

Actual human behavior, though many years of disappointment, has taught
me that most people are -not- thinking individuals that carefully
consider all sides.  Most people -are- quick to judge based on a
splashy headline and have already decided that Pete is "guilty".
There will be no turning them from their decision now that they have
made one, for to turn away from a previous decision would be to admit
that they were wrong and their own pride and hubris will prevent that
from happening.

If you really think that the populace at large is truly composed of
reasonable people who consider all sides before making a judgment,
then all I can say is that you are due for a rude awakening one day,
hopefully not at great personal expense.
--
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer