A Different Bomb - revisited

Posted 8 August 2002
A Different Bomb - revisited
I read this week in The British Daily Mail that the FBI have sent to the UK
police the names and addresses of 7,000 UK citizens who provided credit card
information to a U.S. sex site which - they say - portrayed illegal, underage
subjects. I'm not sure about the differences between UK and US law on
internet porn, but I feel that I should repost my article from January this
year written when a friend of mine who had suffered childhood sexual abuse
committed suicide. I withdrew it when my site closed in the Spring and
decided not to repost it when we reopened for The Who tour. I am preparing
another piece about my 'Future Fear' (as contained in the darker side of the
Lifehouse story) that the internet absolutely MUST be restrained by those who
provide access to it long before more complex forms of sexual entertainments
start to be offered via Broadband and 'Virtual Reality' systems. Imagine a
world where young women, young men and children from 'Third World' countries
are used as characters in sexually enticing internet plays of some kind.
These will be aimed at those sex-addicts with money in the 'First World', the
profit collected by credit card of course. At the moment, that is what is
happening on the internet alongside more 'normal' pornography sites. There is
no point at all, in my opinion, locking up internet porn addicts. Children
will continue to get hurt. It is what we call the 'E-Com' route from 'First
World' to 'Third World' that needs to be interrupted. If people wish to
distribute unacceptable material freely via the internet we cannot stop them.
The very nature of the internet is to allow free, borderless exchange of
uncensored information, opinion and media. But the very nature of 'E-Com' is
to collect money via credit card. That is expressly a 'First World' business
run predominantly by Western banks and with profits commissioned by Western
Internet Service Providers. There is no reason I can see that this should be
allowed to go on where sex-sites are operating outside the laws and accepted
moral criteria of the West. Am I wrong?"
Posted late Summer/early Fall of 2002:
"A Different Bomb revisited"
This week I spoke to someone at Scotland Yard who told me that User Group
areas run by companies like Google and Yahoo have literally billions of
entries; millions of new entries every day on the sex-related Groups. There
is no way they could ever be moderated or controlled. Later, I will be
talking to someone at a large children's charity here in the UK about
creating some safe User Group forum for the rehabilitation of those who,
addicted to internet porn, begin to be enticed into unacceptable stuff. I
know that 'Just Say No' never worked with heroin, I didn't expect it to. But
internet pornography depends on addiction for its massive profits. The
article below was first posted early this year. I came here today to take it
down at last, but I just heard that another young woman who Double-O had put
into treatment for depression and anxiety related to sexual abuse at the age
of 8, had started drinking again. Sometimes this all feels so bloody futile.
But I am determined to do my bit. I made a lot of money out of that poor
little sap in Tommy. Now I understand how easily he could be recreated as a
real child in our present society. I feel driven to try to change things.