Re: Various Thoughts (Kenney)

In a message dated 1/11/03 10:54:52 PM, "Richard Beal" <rjbeal@maine.rr.com>
writes:

<< Michael,

Roger told Pete he would not do the 89 tour with Kenney on drums.  There
have been various explanations, but I don't know if there is a definitive
answer.>>

Rick,
That may be, but I wish Pete had not given in if that had been the case.
Roger always seemed more eager to tour than Pete.  Roger seemed willing to
accept all kinds of conditions to make it happen:  Pete playing mostly
acoustic and bBoltzb playing lead, performing Petebs solo material, using,
in essence, Petebs solo band, etc.  I find it hard to believe that if it came
right down to it, that Kenney would have been a deal-breaker for Roger.

<<Currently Roger says all the right things, "Kenney is a great drummer, but
he was the wrong drummer for The Who.">>

In a 1989 MUSICIAN (or was it Rolling Stone?) Magazine feature about the Who
tour, each member is interviewed separately.  The interviewer informs Pete
that Roger said that Kenney was never the right drummer for The Who.  Pete
responded that he thought Roger was bfull of shitb about that.  John,
likewise, has also has had positive things to say about playing with Kenney.
It just seemed to me that Roger basically bbulliedb Kenney out of the band.
I recall Kenney saying that he found out he was out of the band by hearing a
news report that the Who were touring again.  That just seemed kinda crappy.
He had even checked with them before committing to bThe Lawb with Paul
Rogers to make sure there would be no conflicts....

In the latest issue of UNCUT, Roger says: bThe first tour Kenney did with us,
though, he was absolutely fucking brilliant.  But after that, he settled into
what he knew, which was his Faces-type drumming....b

It seems they could have at least given him a chance and said, bwe need you
to play like you did in 79-80...b Based on his later performances at Live Aid
and the BMI Awards, that probably would not have been a problem....

--Michael