Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V10 #12

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:33:13 -0500
From: Joe Lewinski <lewinski@icanon.com>

When the detective dips his wet pinky in the bag of white powder to check
the purity of the coke, what taste is he looking for, and how does he come
to know this without breaking a law himself?
Excellent point...although I suppose the technical answer is that he as a law-enforcement official has an exemption from the law if he opens/tastes the certified registered approved envelope of coke for training purposes or in the conduct of his official duties.

Along the same lines, my question is how come law-enforcement officials and possibly certain lawyers and judges are the only humans deemed by the law permitted to even legally *view* certain images? That, to me, is ludicrous. (And as you've probably noticed, 50 of Britain's finest have fallen under suspicion and 8 charged, so even their "moral superiority" collapsed under the "strain".) Ban selling and distributing if you like, but making it technically illegal to even view a site (due to the downloading aspect of Web browsing) is silly.

And besides, like it or not there is a legitimate curiosity factor. There are plenty of very nasty things in the world that it IS legal to view images of, and I really don't see why images of child molestation should be the sole (as far as I know) exception.

On other topics:

Jon: Congratulations! on getting your DJs to read and pay attention to A Different Bomb! That's great.

It kind of gives me chills to think of what we'd have to point strangers to if Pete HADN'T written that...not much.

Scott:

Daltrey could shoot the Pope & I wouldn't give a
fuck.  They're still the best goddamned rock & roll band that's
ever graced this planet.
Glad you see it that way. While I would be very saddened (and curious why) were Roger to do such a thing, no one and no thing -- not even the musicians -- can take from me the value I put on the music. Even if they didn't mean what they wrote and sang for the last 35+ years -- which I don't for a minute believe -- the music invokes in me ideas and emotions that I do believe in and will continue to.

Cheers,
--
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."