Re: ::a timeline of Pete Townshend and the Internet:: part II

Thanks for doing this, Ken.

This year is an important point in establishing whether Pete started the anti-child porn campaign before the Landslide site was busted i.e whether it might be a constructed defense as some have suggested. Do we know what date he did the BBC interview? Or for that matter, any other that mentioned child porn?

keets

::1999::
In interviews throughout the year Pete drew parallels
from the compressed life experiences sought on the
Grid by characters in Lifehouse to the increasingly
real experiences available on the Internet.  He also
pointed to activities far more disturbing than
anything he had previously imagined.  He told the BBC
that any child innocently entering naughty words
into a search engine could quickly be exposed to
hardcore pornography.  The Internet, he warned, is a
terrifyingly unpoliced medium where your ten year old
child, in my case - my ten year old child, could quite
easily switch on and be subjected to the pornographic
machinations of the Russian Mafia.

September: Officers from the Dallas police, the U.S.
Postal Inspection Service, and the Department of
Justice raided Landslide Productions, Inc, a portal
site in Texas that provided access to hundreds of
child abuse web sites, including many based in Russia
and Thailand. Landslide processed credit cards for
over 300,000 subscribers. Investigators launched a
follow-on investigation, named Operation Avalanche,
that operated undercover for the next two years.  Part
of its work entailed deciphering the encrypted credit
card files and assembling suspect lists of the
thousands who paid to enter the web site.  Petes
credit card information, along with thousands of other
UK citizens, was among those recovered and later sent
to authorities in London.