Who Are They kicks serious ass, puts on defining show

Last night was a defing show for us in Who Are They, the embryonic Who cover band I started back in the fall.  We made a return to The Mellow Mushroom (pizza restaurant/night club near LSU campus in Baton Rouge) for another open mike night to try out some new covers.

It is by far the best my voice has felt since we have been together, our new bassist is settling in and starting to get funky, and out guitarist was spot on all night.  Of course, our drummer is by far the strength of the band and he was phenomenal.  The drum solo we worked into My Generation was blistering.  We had a dozen complete strangers stop us to tell us how much they loved it.  One guy pulled me aside and said, "It's god damn time someone covered the Who."  We also impressed a couple of members of popular local bands who were in attendance and it looks like some more paying gigs will be coming our way, both opening and headlining.  Here is the setlist we went with (40 minute set).

My Generation (best we've ever played it.  Changed it to the key The Who uses live nowadays.  Added Join Together and Roadrunner lyrics during the jam)

You Really Got Me (usually follows I Can't Explain, but decided to give ICE a rest for a night to play some different stuff)

Who Are You (new guitar intro worked out well, improved backing vocals made it go really well)

Success Story (The guitar carries the main riff, but it worked well for us.  Replaced the bass solos with drum solos and it was hot.  Started the lyrics a bit out of rhythm but corrected quickly and was fine the rest of the way)

Pinball Wizard (solid.  We have gotten very proficient with this one.  Incorporate some of the broadway version into it)

See Me, Feel Me/Listening to You (went very well and at proper face this time)

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (bass and guitar players switched instruments for a pretty solid rendition.  I love to sing the vocals on this one, my fav ACDC song)

Behind Blue Eyes (got many comments afterwards on how much people liked it.  We stay pretty much to exactly what the Who did with it)

Won't Get Fooled Again (guitarist handles the organ part at the beginning, and it fucking rocked.  I can't scream in falsetto like Rog, but I made do.  It was a great finisher.)

Well, we're getting better, but as you all know, The Who is a very hard band to cover well, so TONS of work remains ahead of us.  We will be hitting the studio soon to cut a few demos.

Mc