Passing of Howie Epstein

SANTA FE, N.M. (Feb. 25) - Howie Epstein, a former bass player for Tom Petty
and the Heartbreakers, died of what authorities suspect was a drug overdose.
He was 47.

Investigators were told Epstein had been using heroin, said Maj. Ron Madrid
of the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Department. Epstein was driven to St.
Vincent Hospital by his girlfriend, who described him as ``under distress.''
He died Sunday.

Epstein was taking antibiotics for an illness, and he had recently suffered
from flu, stomach problems and an abscess on his leg, friends said.

``Apparently he passed out in the bathroom, and (his girlfriend) drove him to
the hospital,'' Madrid said.

Epstein has been a respected musician and producer for more than 20 years. In
addition to his work with Petty, he played on some of Bob Dylan's albums in
the 1980s and produced a Grammy-award winning album for folk
singer-songwriter John Prine called The Lost Years.

He was singer Carlene Carter's longtime boyfriend, producing two of her
albums, one of which was nominated for a Grammy.

``I'm devastated,'' said Carter, the stepdaughter of country singer Johnny
Cash and daughter of June Carter Cash. ``I loved him very much. My kids
thought of Howie as their father.

``We had a good life together for 15 years. We've been apart since May last
year, and all I know is I'm going to miss him very much.''

Epstein teamed up with Petty in 1982 and also worked with Roy Orbison, Del
Shannon, John Hiatt, Stevie Nicks and Eric Anderson.

``We are deeply saddened at the news of Howie's passing. It's difficult to
put into words how much we loved him and will miss him. The world has lost a
great talent and a kind and gentle soul,'' according to a statement on
Petty's Web site.

Epstein and Carter were arrested in June 2001 in Albuquerque with 2.9 grams
of black-tar heroin and drug paraphernalia in a vehicle that had been
reported stolen.

Epstein was not charged in that case. Carter pleaded no contest to a charge
of heroin possession and was sentenced to 18 months probation.

Several months before the plea, she was released into the custody of her
daughter, Tiffany Lowe, in Nashville and has lived there since.

Epstein, who was born in Milwaukee, is survived by a daughter, Jamie Leffler,
15, in Los Angeles and two brothers in Milwaukee.

02/25/03 10:21 EST