From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
To: thewho@igtc.com
Subject: Center for Democracy and Technology
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 02:13:30 +0000
Sender: owner-thewho@igtc.com

Here's what I got back from the Center for Democracy and Technology on the child porn site blocking issue. A quick look at their site makes me think they have ties to the communications industry. I had a quickie look at the document he's referencing (I wish I had more time to do this) and it looks to me like they're complaining about the way ISPs handle sites on their servers. They group the site numbers and can't block just one, but have to block a whole groups. Any ISP experts here? George? Is there a way around this, or are the ISPs only bellyaching because they don't want to a) lose the $$ and b) change the way they do things?

keets

Thanks very much for your comments. We entirely agree that any ISP that is knowingly hosting child pornography is violating the law and should be prosecuted. CDT has long called for the vigorous enforcement of existing child pornography laws.

The Pa. law, however, does not go after the creators or hosts of any illegal content. Our main concern in the Pennsylvania context is that, in light of how the Internet operates, wholly innocent web sites are being blocked with no notice or judicial process.

You might be interested in the full report that we issued -- you can find it at http://www.cdt.org/speech/030200pennreport.pdf. Our web site has other information (including the text of the Pennsylvania law) at http://www.cdt.org/speech/ . Thanks again for your input.

John Morris