Pete article

the article is great; the comments are depressing

http://www.postget.com/get/article.php?newsid=97815
Actually, I think it's a pretty good discussion. Everybody has said what they think with a minimum of trollish flaming. They're a little vague on the facts, but they've covered the issues pretty well. I think this is the sort of thing Pete will have to be prepared for in any interviews he gives from now on. Like the questions about homosexuality, this will continue to turn up like a bad penny.

The most important thing is that they've pointed out that Pete's story doesn't ring true, and that his defenses are likely constructed after the fact. I personally think this is because what he's saying is at the recommendation of his lawyer, who's looking at the idea of having to defend it in court--plus he's fighting the PR battle. The truth will be in what the police find on Pete's computer. Six or eight pics from the cache: innocent. Five thousand pics downloaded and saved: guilty.

I'm personally expecting the six or eight pics. Still, Pete will have to address this point in any interviews. I suspect people will be more satisfied with a description of how he got into doing this (he mentioned Gary Glitter, and Joe finding a site) and his feelings on the matter, rather than trying to defend his actions. He'll also have to explain what he means when he says he and Joe found a site when they were surfing together. It's suspicious that a teen would let his dad surf with him. What I think Pete means by this is that Joe does not look at child porn on the Internet--his dad is the one responsible. Pete should make this clear.

Another sticking point is that Pete paid for entry into the Texas gateway. Whether or not he paid to download anything, folks are concerned about this. However, if Pete was really investigating how the porn industry worked, I think this was an important step in the process. It clearly illustrates how the credit card companies act as middle men, raking in a percentage of every transaction, on what was presumably (from Pete's reaction) hard core child porn.

Other interesting things that have come up in the discussion is various feelings on child abuse and the recovery from it--definitely an emotional issue. Also, it's clear that folks are concerned about younger children and automatically assume that child porn features little kids. I thought it was interesting that one poster came right out and said that older kids should be allowed a choice whether to "model" or perform in sexy videos. I would have to agree that it's most likely been in Ms. Spears best interest to perform. ;)