Human Rights Act

This looks to be the applicable article under the European Human Rights Act. If Pete is never charged by the police, but adjudicated by the media and sentenced to stalking and/or violence from vigilante anti-sex offender fanatics, then it's a deprivation of his right to due process under this law. I know that one could always argue that he did break the law, but if he's never charged and it never goes to court, then this is not established. The UK child porn law does allow legitimate reasons for possession of photos, and if he's never charged, then it follows the police felt his possession was for legitimate purposes.

Lawyers? Have I got a case? And who's at fault? I'd say the UK press is negligent--they should be aware of the dangers.

ARTICLE 7 NO PUNISHMENT WITHOUT LAW
1. No one shall be held guilty of any criminal offence on account of any act or omission which did not constitute a criminal offence under national or international law at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the one that was applicable at the time the criminal offence was committed.