Re: Privacy and Media Intrusion, UK Parliament committee

Here's the deal, folks--or at least how it looks to me. The Press Complaints Commission sets out a code of behavior for the UK press. They do mention Princess Diana's death as one of the factors in it's establishment and maintenance. Because of this, I think we can count on the UK press to give the possibility of Pete's innocence equal time with a minimum of prodding. Because the initial reports now seem to be in error, they're probably running scared of possible repercussions. If you'd like to read the code, it's posted here:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/

However, the problem with this situation is that the initial negative story was picked up and reported, with a number of errors, in local papers across the USA, Denmark, Germany--basically world-wide. After the wire services corrected the errors, the local papers did not pick up the corrections. Because of the negative consequences of becoming labeled a sex offender, I suspect this is a violation of the European Human Rights Act, which the UK has adopted. It amounts to conviction without due process.

Here's William Cash, who is proposing a Right to Privacy Act in the UK:

http://www.conservatives.com/people/person.cfm?PersonID=4605

Here's the Committee again that's investigating intrusive behavior by the press. The time limit is past in which they were collecting info, but they might still be open to comment.

cmscom@parliament.uk

Again, if anyone would like to pick up these ideas and use them in letters to their own representative, feel free.

keets