Re: JAE & 1999 vs. 2000

> I was like, "fuck, it took them 20 years to figure out how to sound
> like The Who again, and now it's gone."

Personally, I will look back on 1996 - 2001 as a golden age as a Who fan.

>>>I think we all had similar thoughts.  John's death, while tragic enough,
happened at a very inopportune time.<<<

Like Pete said at the Greek Theater, "Fucking great timing."

> Blues to the Bush must be the best live stuff they did after Keith's
> death and will never be surpassed, now that John's gone. If there's
> anything from that era that's better, let me know, 'cause I want to
> hear it.

>>>See, I think BTTB is a bit sloppy compared to the 2000 tour stuff that's
available.  They were just warming up during the handful of 1999 shows.<<<

Agreed that BTTB is sloppy - its a good document, to some extent, but it
sounds brittle and thin to me.  Also, since it is glommed together from four
shows it has no real rthym.  The way they cut from track to track with dead
air is maddening.

IMHO, the audience boot from the Dec. 23, 1999 Shepherd's Bush is great.  They
are still a little rough but very raw and very loud.  They had a number of
shows under their belt as a five piece by this recording.  And they do a
ferocious version of Naked Eye along with some gems like Happy Jack, Pure and
Easy, etc.  I'd love to have one of the SB shows get the Encore treatment!

Some of the 2000 stuff to me sounds a little bit perfunctory, like, hey were
slogging through this.  That was how they sounded to me on 7/5/00 at Nissan.
Nonetheless, there are some very good quality boots out there from 2000
(courtesy of Pete in some cases).  I'd like to get my hands on the one from
Coral Gables FL called "In Ass-Kicking Mode."

T'will be interesting to hear the bonus tracks from the 2002 RAH show when
they release "The Who and Special Guests at RAH" - if they still do, haven't
heard anything about that since Matt first put the notice up in the Who news
section.

YMMV,
Ken in MD

"Our music was specifically designed
to lubricate the passage from adolescence
to adulthood."  Pete