Re: Encore Series - Popping Pino

> More noticable to me, though, was a funny percussion sound that
> seemed to be coming from the bass.  I'm not a musician, so hopefully
> someone else can say for sure, but it sounds to me like there's often
> a clicking, similar to two drum sticks coming together, when Pino
> plucks a string.  I'd really like to know if that's it and if it's
> there on other recordings.

That popping or clicking sound is indeed coming from Pino.  It's the
sound of his bass strings hitting the pick-ups on his guitar.  The
pick-ups are what transfer the string vibrations into electricity & are
located on the body of the guitar, perpendicular to & underneath the
strings.

Some bass players like their pick-ups very close to the strings because
they don't have to pluck as hard to create the amplified sound.  How-
ever, this can result in the string slapping back against the pick-ups
after it's been plucked, creating an annoying clicking noise.

It's much more audible on a soundboard-type recording than it is when
you're actually at the show but I've been to a few concerts where I could
hear it coming from the bass.

- SCHRADE in Akron