RE: Pete's interview / Scott's analysis

Hi everyone - Happy New Year.

So - I'm currently at work, and will be until just before the year turns, so it's a good time to wish everyone the very best for 2004.

That most certainly includes Pete, Roger and whoever is nominated to be part of The Who in the coming year.

Regarding Pete's interview: just a couple of observations (pun intended): Scott, that was a splendid and thoughtful analysis, and well up to your usual standard of intelligent, pithy and generous-hearted writings. No surprise to me you're a Who-fan: takes brains, guts AND a big, warm heart to get the most out of their work (IMHO).

Let's hope that Pete really has learned from this terrible experience, and can put that extra wisdom to work where it really matters: in his craft and performances. He needs to set aside some of his ego, and get down to grafting at what he's great at: writing songs, and delivering them, via The Who (whatever that is) to the world at large. (Hey, listen to me: "I can't pretend that I can teach..." but I'm having a damn good try!)

Regarding Scott and Jon's on-going debate (humanism v theology ?) - well, respect to you both, for having your convictions and sticking to them: I doubt either of you will ever change the other's mind, so please can I join the rest of us in sitting this one out?

FWIW, I do believe in a spirituality, and I have felt it. I felt it the other day when I took my daughter (three, turns four in January) to the "Peter Pan" pantomime at the local theatre. Hundreds of young kids, all agog, all showing masses of willing suspension of disbelief, and making us parents and carers feel their sheer joy and awe and wonder.

It was a spirit created by (very young) people - and it fed back and around the whole place, so that even world-weary, tired, sad and fretting folk such as me could feel it, savour it, and be bourne along and uplifted by it.

Does this sound at all familiar? "Listening to you" anyone? That amazing sense of sheer one-ness, that sensation of transcendance that takes place at a great, special meeting of art, people, spirit, music and performance that's best exemplified by the live Who experience.

Why else does a relatively poor, cynical and battered old scroat of 46 like me keep seeking the ghost of what The Who at their peak meant to me - and gave to me?

Why else would I want to pass on that flame to my daughter - though I don't care whether she gets that charge from The Who, from Britney, from Robbie bloody Williams or some as yet-to-emerge source that will rock her world and touch her soul when she's ready?

This "spirit" I talk of (and try telling ME Santa Claus doesn't exist!) - yes, it's generated from within and by people, human beings - but it transcends the individual, and possibly even the totality. It has its own life - it flies of its own.

I swear I'm sober! That's enough from me.

Have a great, great time - regards to all. Maybe we'll meet up at the RAH or IoW, or whenever.

Long Live Rock - be it dead or alive.

Simon

Working moms: Find helpful tips here on managing kids, home, work  and yourself. http://special.msn.com/msnbc/workingmom.armx