Re: Who's Last

I agree with most opinions of Who's Last.  Weak.  By Who standards,
tremendously weak.  The playing isn't bad per se, but the energy isn't there.
Regurgitated Who with Pete playing that wimpy Telecaster.

Pete used the Telecaster more often than not during that period, and the
result was a much softer sound; as demonstrated on Face Dances.  A wimpier
Who, it's guitar-based teeth put in a glass by the night-table, might explain
why Kenney never really had a chance with us fans.  Nothing represents a
change in The Who during that period more than Kenney replacing Keith.  That's
like getting a Shemp instead of a Curly.  But Pete's choice of guitar sound
and lack of enthusiasm, plays as much a role in this period as Kenney Jones'
much maligned performances.

But there is a real treat in the bland collection that is Who's Last, as
that's a pretty decent performance of "Dr. Jimmy".

For the record, I always liked Kenney Jones, and I think he would've probably
fit in better with The Who in almost any other period than this one.  He just
wasn't a Who guy and for some reason never really did fit in.

Jim in Colorado

Just got The Kids dvd for Christmas and can't wait to watch it.  I hope
everyone had a very Merry Christmas, whether you believe in Santa or not...