Re: Who's Last

> What was I talking about?  Oh, yeah, I Can't Explain.  Funny thing about
> that was that they added some pauses in between lines of the chorus.  It was
> like, "I can't explain...da da da dum...I think it's love...do do do
> dee...tryin'a say to you...do do do do...when I feel blue..."  It totally
> threw me off. All I can say is I'm glad that experiment didn't last too
> long.

Ha!  Yeah.  1979.  The year they fucked with "Can't Explain!"  Wonder
whose idea that was?!  It really startles you when you first hear it, doesn't
it?  Like, "Uh oh, they messed up."

It kind of mellowed that section of the song a bit.  Makes it more of a
ballad during those segments.

That got me to thinking of other times The Who effed with their material
specifically for the stage.

Similarly, but not as striking as the "Can't Explain" '79 example, is that I
don't think The Who have ever played "My Generation" live in the same
key as the studio version.  Maybe someone could correct me if I'm mistaken.

"Substitute" would often be played with an entire verse & chorus missing
(again, compared to the studio version), significantly shortening the song
(like the LAL version).

I wouldn't count some of the "jam" songs like YMB because they were
always different from night to night; at least they were in the jam "sections."

"A Quick One" was edited down somewhat, from the studio version,
when played live.

Can anyone think of any more examples?

But, yes, the "Can't Explain" '79 example is the most glaring because they
had been playing the song the same way for *so* long.  And to hear those
extra "1979 pauses" is very jarring at first, to say the least.

> Another funny thing was just before You Better You Bet, a fan who ran
> up on stage and handed Pete what looked like a joint.  He just looked at
> it, smiled, gave it to someone and said "thanks anyway" into the mic.

Yeah, but then the dude just stands there waving to people in the crowd
while he's got his arm around Pete.  Like he's just hang out there for the
rest of the show!  "Allo!"  ("Ok, buddy, time to go."

Also in that video, look for Daltrey giving someone a good cussing-out
after WAY, I believe.  Reading his lips it's obvious he's not happy, & it's
also obvious he uses the nasty f-word.

And also at the end of WGFA, I believe, Pete comes up right behind
Roger, invading his personal space but jamming & getting into the mo-
ment - and Roger senses him & leans back on him & they remain like
that for a second or two, like two non-attracting particles who get forced
together via high energy (WGFA's climax!).

I'm not saying it's gay, or anything like that.  I just think it's cool.  For two
guys who, according to Roger, don't feel comfortable "in each other's
company," it really gets me right in my Who heart when I see them lock
together like that on stage.

(You'll forgive me, I need a tissue.)

- SCHRADE in Akron

The Council For Secular Humanism