Review of TKAA DVD (release set for 9/30) gets 5 stars.

 http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0827dvdwho08
27.html

Remastered classic from Who is revealing

Aug. 27, 2003 12:00 AM

'The Kids Are Alright'

*****

The Who (Pioneer)

Now, if we can only get a major DVD release from the Rolling Stones, it will
feel like the British Invasion all over again.

Already this year, we've had elaborate DVD packages from the Beatles, Led
Zeppelin and now, the Who. All three are excellent pieces that chronicle those
bands' prestigious place in rock history.

While Zeppelin's summer treat, How the West Was Won, was a compilation of
killer concert cuts, the Who's entry is a remastering of the seminal
rock-music documentary, with a second disc of extras thrown in to sweeten the
pot.

With its intoxicated and insightful interviews, guitar smashing, drum
kit-destroying and tales of ravaged hotel rooms and cars in swimming pools,
1979's The Kids Are Alright did more than just set the bar for rock
documentaries - it also provided the inspiration for rock-music parodies such
as This Is Spinal Tap.

It's also loaded with great performances that have been remastered with
digital sound. They include the infamous performance of My Generation that
ended with an explosion that contributed to the deafness suffered by guitarist
Pete Townshend (in addition to setting his hair ablaze). It also has a
terrific live performance of the band's first minirock opera, A Quick One,
While He's Away, preceded by an interview with Townshend to explain how the
concept was born. So much for high art.

The scenes with Ringo Starr interviewing Keith Moon are a hoot, in part
because both are barely able to stand. At the same time, the self-destruction
of Moon is the haunting subtext of the film. It's made even more so in the
interview on the second disc with singer Roger Daltrey. He relates how he saw
The Kids Are Alright the first time with Moon, just three weeks before the
drummer's death from an overdose of pills taken to control his alcoholism. He
said it jarred Moon to see how in less than 14 years, he had transformed from
a fresh-faced 18-year-old to a 31-year-old who looked 50.

The DVD is sold in two forms, with or without the second disc that has
behind-the-scenes interviews and a trivia game. The interviews add so much
understanding to what you see in the film, though, that we can only recommend
getting both. Watch the interview disc first.

- Tracy Collins/
The Arizona Republic

>From thewho.net/news
Kevin in VT
 <<Remastered classic from Who is revealing.url>>

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type application/octet-stream which had a name of Remastered classic from Who is revealing.url]