moon movie scope

I agree with the opinion that the movie should be a narrower scope rather
than covering the
entire "life of" Moonie.  I am reminded of "Backbeat," the film about Stu
Sutcliffe, I believe was his name, an early, pre-George
guitar player for the Beatles in their Hamburg days and his love affair
with Astrid Kirschner (sp.? her last name escapes me).

The filmmakers would have a very difficult time relating to the overall
movie-going audience about Moon if they try to show something like a
big-screen documentary.  Of course, that may play well with Who-fans, but
the general movie going public..doubt it.  Save that stuff for an A&E
bioography or E! Hollywood True Story.  If they can pick a story to tell
within Keith's life/ career, and show Moonie's talents, faults, and humor
within the story, it will be more successful as a theatrical release.

For example, they may want to focus on his early life, his late teenage
years, and culminate with the success of joining the Who. Or, more
tabloidesque, focus more on the later years and his difficulty with drugs,
drumming, the Who,  weight, maintaining his celebrity, and maintaining his
celebrity lifestyle, and his sad ending.  Unfortunately, this is probably
the movie Hollywood wants, but I would gather, those close to him would not
necessarily want to portray.  Somewhere though in his career, they can
portray the sadness behind the loon, without making it the center of the
movie.  If I was close to making the picture, I would need it to be honest
about those parts of Keith, but be cautious about making the movie too much
about, "the rest of Keith Moon you did not know."

It has been awhile, but if I recall correctly, both the Buddy Holly Story
and Richie Valens (La Bamba) focused on a relatively short-time of their
careers.  Of course, both of their careers were not that long in the first
place, and of course culminated in their deaths.  The time-period was very
central to these movies as was the cultural aspects of the characters.
Coal-miners Daughter, I thought, was a great way to tell the Lorretta Lynn
story. It was basically a love-story rags to riches type story that
culminated in her success. Again, the small town backdrop was central to
the movie's success.   I would tend to want to see a movie more like
Backbeat or Coal-miners daughter in the way the story is told, more so than
Buddy Holly or Richie Valens.  I think the previous two, were
overall...better stories with better characters.  You know, a period piece,
early 60s, rock-explosion, Mods, Britain, other bands exploding in the wake
of the Beatles..relationship with other Mod fans, the clothes.  I think
that is better than a backdrop of late 70s rock excess, the aftermath of
Janis, Jimi, and Jim, the rise of punk, and demise of the late 60s-early
70s icons...of course, THAT would be more juicy!

IT would be a tough movie to make, because I am not sure where that
short-story or slice of Keith's life exists that would make a good story..I
have the book, but have yet to read it. I know, shame on me.  Can anyone
else think of another movie on a music performer or other celebrity that
you think the Moon movie producers and script writers should pay attention
to in order to generate some-type of a story-telling perspective and/or
that slice of Keith's life and time period the movie could focus on?

Greg