Zak, Keith -and our annoying cousins

In a message dated 8/13/2003 3:41:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I sometimes wish Zak would open up a bit.  Let loose.  I mean, he fits
> in just swell with The Who but sometimes he plays too straight &basic.
>
> I understand not wanting to *overplay,* &Zak *does* engage in inter-
> play with Pete *sometimes,* but compared to Moon's mischievousness &
> comic genius, he's lacking somewhat.  But what drummer isn't?

I'm just wondering what he's gonna come up with in the studio should that new
music make it out.  He better make it sound like The Who and not the Healers
or something.  Those quotes you gave us encouraged me.

>It's a pompous reaction: *I* would've mastered it differently. *I*
would've mixed it differently. *I* know what properly mastered music
sounds like. *I* know what properly mixed music sounds like.

And when you say, "Well, it sounds pretty good to me," they respond with,
"*I* can hear sonic deficiencies that you can't. *You* don't know how
it *should* sound."

I read a very common sense quote in a Bass players magazine when I was out
looking for the drumming magazine you told us about.  It was by John Paul Jones
and he said  "The only thing that really matters is that you like what you
hear."

I listen to music because I enjoy it and it makes me happy. That's the point.
It's funny when others suggest that I really shouldn't be so happy and that I
may be too stupid to know that I'm not supposed to be so happy.  Like them.

I'm all for improving the music as much as possible and I do have a high
standard, but it shouldn't come down as a judgment on others' intelligence or
knowledge.  Isn't bringing joy what music is all about?

You hit the nail on the head there, Scott.

>I read a comment by a respected Who freak saying that he could only make
it through the first few songs on the remastered TOMMY disc from LIVE
AT LEEDS saying that he got "bored" because the poor mastering made the
music sound like it wasn't even The Who! Have you ever heard anything
so absurd?!

Now that is one of the *dumbest* things I've ever heard!  It's good fun
though.

Jon in Mi