Re: Young Vic Deluxe

> I'll try a feeble attempt at some Who talk.

Great.  Just when the Doors discussion was really starting to get going.

> First, I haven't even listened to the re-re-remaster of the original
> album;

What?  You mean you're not tempted to hear "Baba O'Riley" for the eight
millionth time?!

> Have you ever noticed that even on an "off" night, The Who is still
> better than most?

That's because they don't mail their performances in.  They take risks.
A song may have a botched beginning & then achieve astounding glory.

> Listening to it on the way home yesterday, it was the majestic "Time
> is Passing" that inspired me to comment on the disc in general.

Many have said what a pleasant surprise that version is.  I've always
been partial to the studio version, as well.  It's one of my favorite
Who songs.  Most of my friends say it sounds like country-fied shit -
the same hypocrites that praise the country leanings of bands like the
Mekons.  Bastard friends of mine with their fancy *opinions.*  ;-)

>....Young Man Blues (even with Pete's mysterious guitar disappearance).

What mystery?  His guitar crapped out on him.

> Some not so great renditions too.  Bargain....

Yeah, that "Bargain" is pretty bad.  Moon lurches at the beginning; still
trying to get the feel of the song.  But all we have to do is look to the
WHO'S MISSING album to see what that song would blossom into - a tight,
controlled medley of beauty & fierceness.

> Roadrunner - Daltrey saves the day on this song,

And Pete almost ruins it by extending the song past even the point where
Moon is ready to end it.  One can almost hear Moon's thoughts as Pete
initiates yet another go-around - "Shit!  He's still playing it!"

> And a little side note:  When did John Densmore become such a pissy and
> bitter guy?  Did they forget to mail his royalty check or something?

Densmore's *always* been that way.  He's a complainer & a worrier.  He's
like that guy we all know who you have to gage his mood first before you
begin speaking.  "Phew!  He's in a good mood.  I can relax."

Densmore is a complicated creature.  He was always the first to criticize
Morrison's excesses when the band was together, even threatening to quit
on several occasions.  Yet now he seems to almost worship Jim as a sac-
rificial god who, while alive, espoused wisdom with every remark.

I met Densmore in the mid-'90s.  He was doing a spoken word/drum clinic
presentation at Kent State University.  He was grumpy afterwards when
fans were flocking around to shake his hand or have him sign something.
He seemed very ill at ease.

- SCHRADE in Akron

Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and
swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)