Re: RAH 2000 CD

> I felt like Pete was only playing about half of the notes in the opening
> parts of the song.
>
> Sort of like:
> Na na na, na na na, na na na, naaa
> instead of:
> Na nanana na, nanana na, nanana na, naaaa.

I know exactly what you're talking about.  Pete doesn't play the opening
riff like the '69/'70 versions.  You're right, the 2002 riff is more
"blocky" & doesn't have the little hammer-on finger rolls that give the
earlier versions of the riff their fluidity.

This might be because of his bike accident in 1991 when he shattered his
wrist.  He says he had to learn to play certain things in a different way.
But if I remember correctly, he played it blocky when they did the song
in '82, also.  So......

However,.....we're only talking about the opening riff here!  The rest of
the song is raunchy & exciting, IMO.

On a similar subject, I wonder why Pete doesn't do the little descending
note pattern in "5:15" after the "Why should I care?" parts.  He used to
do it in the '70s & '80s but stopped in the '90's & the '00s (!).  Granted,
he would sometimes botch it.  But it *can't* be *that* hard of a maneuver!
Not for Pete Townshend!

> I hope I'm not being too technical here.

Well, you did write "Na na na na...." when actually it's "Da da da da...."

- SCHRADE in Akron

Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and
swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
	- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)