Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:28:18 -0700
From: "An English Boy"

Subject: Re: FUCK

From: "william sturm"
>Subject: Re: FUCK
>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:59:09 -0400
>
>I'm fucking great! Hope you all are too!

I don't give a fuck!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:31:43 -0500
From: Alan McKendree
Subject: Re: dots and fragments-no who

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:14:33 -0400
>From: "Schrade, Scott"
>
>I catch mistakes on on-line news service headlines all the time. Usually
>just typos, though.

Two (of many) of my pet grammatical peeves: "snuck" (which I've even
seen printed in _Newsweek_) and "If he was going to town" instead of
"If he *were* going to town..." aka The Subjunctive. I've about
given up on "snuck", it's almost qualified under the "if enough
people use it, it *is* the standard" rule. Oh, here's two more:

wrong: I won't step foot in there
right: I won't set foot in there.

wrong: hone in on your goal
right: home in on your goal

Both of these, while wrong, do make sense and are practically
impossible to correct to someone who's doing it wrong. I've even had
an exchange with a newsletter editor who is still firmly convinced
"hone in" is correct.

Speaking of spelling, it was a bad day at the pitch for AEB:

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:42:51 -0700
>From: "An English Boy"

>I call him "Lil' Ed the Brazillain Blues Breaker."

(with all respect to the substance of the post) Is he a "Brazillain
villain"? Or is he a Brazilian?

and

>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:37:28 -0700
>From: "An English Boy"

>Just to stir the soup because this list is so fucking anal and politically
>correct ANN the FUCKING TIME!

ANN? What the fuck? It's not like "N" is close to "L" on the keyboard.

Oh, and

>If they were found guilty the crime they were committed of was "For Under
>Carnal Knowledge".

Have a source for this? I read that it was "For Unlawful Carnal
Knowledge", which has the additional benefit of making sense.

Cheers,
- --
Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true"
-- Howard Stern, 5/25/00

Allow me to say, "'and' they very tightest of asses surfaces first."

AEB~