Re: Battle - no Who

Kevin writes:

> The point there, was that there is an unusually large rift between
> Rumsfeld/Cheney and Powell (aka State Department).  It's not a secret.
> I think we're all smart enough to know which side Bush falls on.

If you want to see a presidential cabinet that was really infighting try that
of Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.  With Stanton and Seward alone you
were guaranteed fireworks of all types - and much of that directed at what
most insiders felt was  "hokey" president from the styx!

Cabinets are supposed to be divergent in ideas - as are corporate boards,
military general staffs, etc.  That way you hear all opinions on topics and
then make the best informed choice based on them.  When the boss makes his
choice, then all the rest need to salute and step into line behind it to make
it work.

I think Colin Powell is chock full of integrity and well-meaning.  His
loyalty to America is unswerving.  I did disagree with his suggestion that
the Gulf War be stopped when it was as the war was not over and the
Republican Guard not exterminated as it violates Karl Von Clausewitz dictums
of war, but he did what he thought was best (even if I and many others
thought it was wrong).

Rumsfeld is a no-nonsense guy and I like a lot of what he has done for the
military - especially after 8 years of neglect.  I think he's the best SecDef
we have had in years.

Greg Biggs