Re: McVicar lyrics; Biggism

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:58:20 -0700 (PDT), Zenswhen
<bushchoked@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Gee, you're not *too* prejudiced, are you?
>
>Leslie:
>
>Not prejudiced at all. Just as the right wing judges the left wing by the most extreme voices, so shall they be judged by theirs. I am merely holding them to the standard we're being held to. If you don't like the image they're giving you, I suggest you get them to stop yelling "traitor" every time someone says anything against the war. I'm no traitor, I'm for what's best for the US. That is NOT a war with Iraq, any minute now Syria and/or Iran. No WMD, huh?

Well, I judge the extremists by themselves and I don't tar reasonable
libs with that same brush. I know that there's a difference between
people who ardently love this country, but don't think that the war
was a good thing, and those who hate this country and get into bed
with hardcore America-hating organizations (like ANSWER) to use
anti-war protests as a cover for anti-America protests.

>>CNN pro-war?! Now *that's* funny! Christiane Amanpour-arafat is pro-war, too, right?
>
>Why, you're not judging an entire network on one person, are you? Isn't that what you just jumped me for doing? How about Bob Novak? (please note that I don't make fun of his name)

What about him? His foreign policy is far closer to yours than to
mine. <g> As you probably know by now, CNN execs covered up the true
nature of Hussein's regime of torture and essentially lied to the
public.

>>They don't?
>
>No, they're just a news service.

Yes, I am aware of that. But with my (past) experience in writing for
a large daily in the Gannett chain, I know that some of the wire
services put out analyses and sometimes op-ed type pieces.

>>Nobody said it should be illegal. Why are you trying to create a straw man?
>
>I'm not, I thought you were talking about burning the flag. Some HAVE had an American flag, upside down which is an old signal that we're in trouble.

The *only* American flags I've seen at anti-war rallies are those on
which the stars have been replaced with corporate logos and those
where the stars are replaced with peace signs.

>> Got any dates, places, etc.?
>
>I'm talking about the ones which clash with anti-war, easy to find with Google. As are the number of articles about anti-war people getting arrested.Not a single pro-war person has been arrested...how selective is that enforcement?

I've followed a lot of the coverage of the various rallies, and I've
never heard of the pro-troops people causing any trouble or being
involved in any fights.

>>Who has gone to jail for nothing more than criticizing President Bush
>
>Who was that guy who went to jail for the T-Shirt in the mall?

Someone who was trespassing and refused to leave a privately-owned
establishment.

>>to admit that until now I had seriously overestimated you.
>
>I have to wonder why conservatives leap to insult their critics. I'm not insulting you. I've seen all this before, over Viet Nam. The three "Patriot" Acts are certainly fascist in nature, whether you want to see them as such or not. Please do a little research, it's there to be seen. And if you think it's OK to jail someone for being against a war, or wearing a political T-Shirt, then there is no hope for freedom. Or perhaps you can tell me why you didn't say anything about people calling Clinton a traitor (and MUCH worse) but balk if someone uses the word Nazi for Bush? Why is it one side can do any despicable thing it wants, the other nothing? I know you're not clueless like Greg and other rant n ravers here, tell me does that seem fair to you? Is that how you see a democracy working? Even if it means you think you have overestimated me, I do not.

There are certain rather ugly connotations when "Nazi" is thrown
around. As for Clinton, I don't remember anyone here calling him a
traitor, although I have to admit that I don't read each and every
post, especially in threads that go on and on and on and on...

And no, I don't think I overestimated you. In fact, despite our
differences, I have to confess that I like you -- you seem like a fun
guy (as opposed to a fungi <g>). Yes, that will probably bring you
some grief here and possibly cause you to be ostracized, and for that
I apologize. :)

Leslie

--
"Every one of the innocents who died on Sept. 11 was the most important person on earth to somebody.
Every death extinguished a world." -- President George W. Bush, 12/11/2001

www.hillary-watch.org